Lanao, #9 is the "second oldest barrio and the richest Barangay of Bangui, Ilocos Norte". This is also the famous
place where enterprising and adventurous people live. It is
situated between our town Bangui and the town of Pagudpud.
THE HISTORY OF LANAO
In the year 1840, when the late Don Mariano Agarpao was the Gobernadorcillo of
Bangui, two brothers
Mariano and Damaso Sagucio of Bacarra, Ilocos Norte, wanted to seek greener
pasture. So, they came to Bangui and presented themselves to the Gobernadorcillo.
They applied to explore and clean a portion of the town. When their families,
relatives and friends moved northward, they reached a place full of rattan
clumps near a river. The place according to the natives was called "kalamnawan",
from the word "lamnaw", meaning rattan.
The Sagucio brothers and company were met by a group of natives headed by a
chieftain named "Alokaka". At first, Alokaka, and his men were hostile to the
newcomers, but due to the good relationship and diplomacy of Mariano and Damaso
Sagucio, they gained the sympathy, love, friendship and
respect of the natives. A feast was
made as a
token of love and understanding.
The newcomers built their small houses on the lot they cleared. After several
months, they also cleared the surrounding sitios called Arapang, Busisi, and
Taguiporo. After all their patience, eagerness and hardships, they were able to
clean and clear the place.
There was a strict ruling
that was seriously implemented. Whoever misses work would be fined seventy
five centavos [0.75]. If that person is still absent the following day and
failed to pay fine, his called "atar" would be confiscated right away by the
group called "gimong".
It was a custom of the chieftain Alokaka to call for a conference during full
moon to talk and discuss problems and suggest solutions to strengthen their
ties. Alokaka's advisers, wherein Mariano and Damaso were members attended this
conference. The Gobernadorcillo was also invited to attend this conference.
With wit and humor, Damaso Sagucio presented a proposal to the group to change
the name of the place "Kalamnawan" to "Lanao" for the sake of euphony. The
proposal was smoothly and unanimously approved. This took place on November 30,
1841. The community named Kalamnawan was permanently changed to “LANAO”. This
marked the first anniversary of the newcomers.
As of today, this barangay has
a total land area of 392.2009 hectares, 1,865 population and 386 household.
Lanao is the second oldest and the richest barangay where enterprising and
adventurous people live.
Lanao is divided into six Puroks namely: Sinamar, Rang-ay, Regta, Talna, Namnama,
and Bannawag. Every purok’s name has a meaning and everyone is proud to be a
part of Barangay Lanao!